Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hard at work

I have achieved 20 years at my current job. I guess that is pretty good except when I look at Dad who retired from three different occupations.

For my 20th I get an extra week of pay which as we say around here is better than a kick in the ass. Would have been nice to get an extra week vacation which I always seem to run out of right about now.

So, 2 years as a programmer at an insurance company that doesn't exit anymore after college. Also spent the summer after college working at my normal summer job since Dad was laid up with a bad back and I wanted to be home to help out. Then onto the Bell system which was a job to retire at but then the original breakup occurred. Stayed for a year after that at AT&T communications then got "recruited" to the consulting firm that now employs me. Nine years total at Bell which got me some kind of pension if I remember and they can find me. Probably enough to buy a loaf of bread a month when I retire.

I am actually kind of a "youngster" in the current firm. Most of the folks have been there since the company formed in 1985. Some where there in the prior iterations as the whole thing started in 1959. They have not been there since the beginning but for some time before 1985. Original founding father Oskar Morgenstern founded the whole thing from Princeton.

Anyway, looking forward to retirement someday. Got to keep buying those powerball tickets to speed up the process.

Later,
JH

No comments: