Friday, April 25, 2008

First Saturday in May

I know, I know, it is next weekend. But the event I probably look forward to the most in sports is "the most exciting two minutes in sport". Of course, that is the Kentucky Derby. This the time of year I spend many hours scouring the internet to find all I can about the horses.

Over the last few years this has paid off since the reason I do all that is to make some hopefully "good" bets. The best of those was 2002 when I had the exacta for $1800. That was fun. Made some money the last two years but nothing big.

This year could be one of those years. The big question mark is Big Brown. Is he really the monster that he has shown or not?

My normal betting strategy is to throw out the favorite. But with Big Brown probably going off in the neighborhood of 3-1 that makes him worthwhile to play. Get a longer shot underneath and the exacta could be really nice.

The rest of the field looks rather even though there will be some to throw out. Probably end up with 4 or 5 horses I like and then try to set up some exactas and trifectas to make a few coins.

A lot will come down to the post position draw on Wednesday. Then the past performances will be out probably Thursday. So Friday will be a study day and then over to OTB in CT to make the bets.

Look for a post next week with the picks. For now, Big Brown will hit the board somewhere IMHO.

1 comment:

DC said...

I think a road trip to some race track somewhere is necessary. I've still never seen live horse racing. Need to buy a fedora, a pint bottle of Jack and the form to get the full experience I want. Heck, I've never even bet at an OTB and they're taking them away from NYC!